Thursday, June 11, 2015

Summer Reading

I haven't written a book post in forever -- sorry.  I need to sit down and compile all the books I've read since my last book report (March 20?  Yikes) because there are some great ones.  And a couple of meh ones.

Currently, I'm reading The Red Tent for book group, listening to A Spool of Blue Thread while sewing (how appropriate, but I'm not sure I like this one at all -- time will tell, I guess) and my current Jane Austen is Mansfield Park, because I watched the 1999 movie last week, and I didn't remember the novel being quite so sexual or political ...
And after reading a Facebook post by my college friend, Julie, which cited this article, I immediately ordered Make Me One With Everything.   Oh, and Benediction by Kent Haruf, which I bought at Indy Reads Books last month (after an amazing lunch with the Purdue Crew at Black Market, right across the parking lot -- thanks, J&J.)

Here, instead, is my reading list for the summer.  (Or fall.  Or winter.  Or next year.  You know how that goes.)

Furiously Happy.  Have you read Let's Pretend This Never Happened?  Same snappy author.  And I'm not ashamed to say that the first thing that caught my eye was this cover.  Raccoons make me furious, but they are so darn cute.  


Love, Fiercely.  The story of this couple portrayed in a painting by John Singer Sargent.  I love art-based novels.

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake.  Amazon told me I would love this one, since I loved The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (which I gave to Clay, hoping he would love it and we could discuss it at length.  He didn't.  We didn't.)

Euphora.  A novel based on the life of Margaret Mead.  I expect this to be fascinating.  
Under the Wide and Starry Sky.  The story of Robert Louis Stevenson and his wife, Fanny.  By the author of  Loving Frank 

Peace.

1 comment: